Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 165: Cell Phone Craze

Okay, I have a rant. It's a pretty big rant but I'll try to spare you from the full force of it. While I was home visiting my parents and seeing my dentist, I accompanied my mother to the Family Math Night at her school. She, the art teacher, was required to go and help out (even though none of the other teachers are ever required to attend her art shows... *cough*BULLSH*T*cough*). I had just arrived in town and rather than sitting on my butt and doing nothing, I joined her and photographed the madness. Elementary school on it's own is madness. Schools are lucky to have such dedicated teachers - but I digress, that is another rant for another time.

One thing that really bothers me is shown in these pictures: Children with smart phones. Now, I didn't get a cell phone until I was 18 and moving off to college and the only reason for that was because dorm phones no longer existed and my parents needed to stay in contact with me somehow. Did you hear that? I WAS EIGHTEEN BEFORE I EVEN OWNED A CELL PHONE. It was a Razr, and then that broke so I got a temporary phone from WalMart, and then I got a cool slide-phone which was awesome until the speakers went out and I couldn't hear a thing from anybody calling, so I went back to the temporary and now have the cool slide-phone I use now. I have never owned a touch screen. Also, full keyboards confuse me. (I did have a pre-paid cell phone my senior year but once the minutes ran out, it didn't work anymore. You had to conserve those minutes.)

I have promised myself when I have kids, they won't be getting cell phones until they can drive - that means SIXTEEN. Not this elementary age crap! A cell phone at that age stunts the growth of a child's imagination. I attribute my creativity to the fact that my parents always kicked me and my sisters out of the house every day to play outside. We had to figure out things to DO to entertain ourselves - not stare at an electronic device in our hands.

I think parents have gotten to lenient on their kids. "But mom, everyone else in school has one!" I can hear my future daughter begging and I will just look at her and tell her, "Yes but I don't care. You know the rules - not until you're 16." (At sixteen she will be able to kiss and go on her first date too).

Cell phones are such an easy distraction. When I was in elementary school, I played "Indiana Jones" in my backyard and dug a hole that my sister eventually fell and got stuck in. That hole was awesome. The sand had crystals in it and every now and then we would find that Barbie that had been missing or spoons we had previously used and forgotten in the sandbox. We had a swing-set, a playhouse, a trampoline, a garden, a pool! We spent very little time indoors and I am so grateful for all of those memories with my sisters.

So, with that said, every time I see a child with a cell phone in their hand I get the angry shivers. "You're missing out on so much," I think. Sure, technology is cool, I love it, but when it comes to a child, there should be consideration of the developmental process that is occurring in their heads and cell phones should be treated not as a toy but as a tool.

8 comments:

  1. I love you! and I agree on most of this, Except I'm not letting my kids drive until they are 18...and they can have a phone in case of emergencies/stay in contact etc. UNLESS they somehow manage to buy their own car and phone with their own money before then.... not happening. I can't lie My "Mommmy Mode" has been starting to kick in and it's so terrible! I want children, but at the same time I hate the direction this world is going. Could I live with myself for bringing children & leaving them with this shit? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach on, Sister Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gets worse. Toddlers are now playing with/using their mommy's smart phones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree!! Even as a jr high teacher, I hate the fact that so much drama goes down because so-an-so texted so-and-so and they are supposed to be my girlfriend/boyfriend and yeah, you get the idea. 5 out of 10 days SOMEONE is coming back from lunch (where they are allowed to be on their phones) crying because of a situation the phones caused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get a cell phone until college for the same reason as you. My mom and I had a discussion about cell phones and text messaging. The conclusion was that even though this device was meant for easy, fast, and convenient communication, it has completely deteriorated children and teen's abilities to effectively communicate in face to face situations. Teens and children don't know how to have out-loud conversations without feeling uncomfortable and at this point do not know nor understand the difference between text typing and actual writing. For example: most do not know that "dunno" is actually "don't know" which is actually "do not know".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea, I completely agree with you. I can't tell you how many situations I've seen of a group of girls sitting in a circle texting each other instead of gossiping out loud.

    I remember my father's old cell phone for his office was like a brick back in the 90's and my sisters and I thought it was so silly - and we went back to playing outside. Nowadays, it's on every kids Wish List to have a cell phone.

    I want my future children to have a childhood like I had - full of imagination, make believe and long hours outside in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh Alison you nailed it on the head. Everyone in the comments, too. It boils my blood to see these young girls & boys on their smart phones. I didn't get a phone until I was 18 as well, and that was only because the family car was officially being given to me and my mom wanted me safe. I remember having to call friends' houses when I was young, and saying, "Hello Mrs Braithwaite, is Cathy there?" We memorized phone numbers with out even thinking about it back then. These kids will NEVER know what that's like. Ugh so many things I could say about this.

    I love the memories you have outside with your sisters- I have similar memories. Let's pass on the tradition :)

    ReplyDelete